Connect with Us

Carbon Monoxide Detectors


carbonMonoxideSources

You CAN’T see or smell Carbon Monoxide, but it CAN Kill...

By law, all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source are required to install carbon monoxide detectors within the home.

Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result.

Be safe. Practice the DO’s and DON’Ts of carbon monoxide.


CO Poisoning Symptoms

  • Severe headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Nausea
  • Fainting


You can even die if high CO levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.


Prevent CO Poisoning

Play it Safe — if you experience symptoms that you think could be from CO poisoning:
  • CALL 911 or your local emergency number.
  • GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY. Open doors and windows.
  • Turn off combustion appliances and leave the house.
  • DO NOT re-enter the premises until cleared by emergency personnel.
  • If CO poisoning has occurred, it can often be diagnosed by a blood test done soon after exposure.

Safety Tips

Follow these guidelines to help keep your family safer.

  • Install CO alarms outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home including the basement. The CO alarm can warn you if too much CO is in your home.
  • Keep CO alarms clear of dust and debris.
  • Ensure CO alarms are plugged all the way into a working outlet, or if battery operated, have working batteries.

What You Can Do

  • DO have your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season.
  • Make certain that the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition, and not blocked.
  • DO choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever possible, have them properly installed, and maintain them according to manufacturers’ instructions.
  • DO read and follow all of the instructions that accompany any fuel-burning device. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or kerosene space heater, carefully follow the cautions that come with the device and keep doors to the rest of the house open. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation and proper fuel-burning.
  • DON’T idle the car in a garage -- even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home.
  • DON’T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • DON’T ever use a charcoal grill indoors -- even in a fireplace.
  • DON’T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • DON’T use any gasoline-powered engines (mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, chain saws, small engines or generators) in enclosed spaces.
  • DON’T ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing.

Connect with Us Privacy Statement | Accessibility       Copyright © 2016 County of San Bernardino. All Rights Reserved.