Connect with Us search button

Christmas_Cooking2017

Christmas Cooking Safety

Many families look forward to cooking and baking for Christmas. Unfortunately, cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire-related injuries. The National Fire Protection Association reports that 30% of all home fires start in the kitchen. That is more than any other place in the home. To help you prepare your holiday feast, the San Bernardino County Fire Department has provided the following safety tips:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended.
  • Be alert! Do not attempt to cook if you have been drinking or are drowsy.
  • Keep cooking areas and appliances clean.Built-up grease can cause fires.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet from the stove.
  • Keep flammable objects (dish towels, potholders, curtains, etc.) away from the stovetop.
  • Turn pot handles inward to prevent them from being bumped or grabbed by children.
  • Wear short sleeved shirts or close fitting clothes when cooking.Dangling clothes can easily catch fire.
  • Avoid reaching over the stovetop.

Put a lid on grease fires. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by slowly sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not remove the lid until it is completely cool. If there is a fire in an oven or microwave, keep the door closed, turn off the oven or microwave, and disconnect the power.Remember, if the fire is not immediately extinguished get out of the house and call 9-1-1.

Stop, drop and roll. If your clothing catches on fire, stop. Do not run. Drop to the ground. Cover your face with your hands, and roll over and over to smother flames.

Cool a burn. Run cool water over a burn for 10 to 15 minutes. Never apply butter or grease to a burn. If the skin is blistered or charred, see a doctor immediately.


Privacy Statement | Accessibility       Copyright © 2020 County of San Bernardino. All Rights Reserved.