Connect with Us search button


Make an online payment

Land Use Project Review

The Hazardous Materials Division works closely with City and County Planning and Building and Safety agencies to evaluate new projects for hazardous materials requirements. This may include "jump start" meetings with local fire representatives, planning agencies, and building departments. It also includes reviewing project descriptions and commenting on environmental documents. Planning and Building and Safety permit applications are required to ask applicants about the handling of hazardous materials to ensure that certain documents and programs are in place prior to occupancy.

Typical conditions applied to planning projects include obtaining permits, filing a business/emergency contingency plan, preparing a Risk Management Plan, filing construction plans and obtaining construction permits for the installation and/or removal of underground storage tanks.

Applicants who require the Hazardous Materials Division to sign-off on projects pay a fee, and must either file the above plans to apply for permits or must file a Business Emergency/Contingency Plan Exemption Form if no operations of the planning project are subject to CUPA regulations.

To discuss your specific permit requirements contact a Specialist at 909.386.8401. When proposing a new or modified facility it is advisable to contact the CUPA, the fire department having jurisdiction for the fire code implementation, the local water and sewering agencies, the air pollution control district, and the local planning and building authorities as early as possible in the planning process. Each of these organizations may have additional requirements for permits and plans.

Public Records

Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Record Search Findings Report

As a convenience to businesses that provide property research and environmental assessment services, as well as to the general public, the Hazardous Materials Division provides a certified record search findings service.

Upon receipt of a completed application form Request for Certified Hazardous Materials Records Search Findings and the required fee, Division staff will perform detailed research of current and archival data, automated records, manual logs, and program files to determine whether there are any records of contamination or spills relating to a particular site that is subject to current or past regulatory activity by the Division. Records include active, inactive, and archival underground storage tanks, hazardous materials handlers, hazardous waste generators, and EPCRA or CalARP facilities, as well as any reports of spills, complaints, or cleanup activity. You may email completed form to us at Our office is now accepting credit card payments. You may contact us at (909) 386-8401 for assistance.

Once research is complete, the Division issues a Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Hazardous Materials Record Search Findings Report that details all records associated with a particular site by type, date, location and status, or which certifies a "no records" finding (any file identified can be made available for copying and/or review upon request).

Questions regarding
procedures for Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Hazardous Materials Record Search Findings Request may be answered by clicking on the Procedures for Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Records Finding pdf below:


Procedures for Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Records Finding

The pdf form to request Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Record Searches is below:


Request for Environmental Audit Phase 1 Certified Record Searches

File Review Request

The Hazardous Materials Division will provide a specific identified record for copying and/or review upon receipt of the application form File Review Request. The application must include the name of the record, type of file, and the specific site location, as well as the identifying record number if available. If the record exists, it will be made available for copying and/or review.  To review a file, an appointment must be scheduled to ensure the record is available.

File reviewNOTE: The File Review Request service is limited to retrieval of the specific record identified in the request and does not include additional research to identify historical contamination issues, address changes, and/or other businesses that may have operated at the site. For complete research for records of a particular site, we recommend submittal of the Environmental Audit Phase 1 Request for Certified Hazardous Materials Record Search Findings and the required fee.

The File Review Request pdf form is below:


File Review Request

Please complete the form above and email to:

Other Government Agencies for Hazardous Materials Information

Other Federal, State, Regional, County, and City agencies maintain certain records involving hazardous materials at facilities within San Bernardino County. For instance, unauthorized releases from Underground Storage Tanks may be found at the State Water Resources Control Board Geotracker site .

Interested persons may also want to check the Hazmat links to investigate web sites by US EPA or CalEPA under their Superfund and Brownfield Programs. The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has a searchable database for several programs including CalSites, Voluntary Compliance Program Properties, and the School Property Evaluation Program. 

List of Identified Hazardous Waste and Substances Sites

CalEPA has amended its web site to provide links to data resources to search for sites belonging on the List of Identified Hazardous Waste and Substances Site ("Cortese List") pursuant by Government Code Section § 65962.5. When Government Code § 65962.5 was originally enacted in 1985, it required the State of California to prepare and update a list of sites from various state and local sources to be entitled the List of Identified Hazardous Waste and Substances Sites, commonly referred to as the "Cortese List" (named after the legislator who authored the bill enacting it). In accordance with provisions of Government Code Section § 65962.5, applicants for certain land development actions are required to consult the list and certify whether or not the project's property is on the list. Because most of these sources are now published electronically, those requesting a copy of the "Cortese List" are now referred directly to the appropriate information resources on the Internet at the web sites for those agencies referenced in the statute. For further information on the background and history of Government Code Section § 65962.5, see Background and History , or go directly to the link at CalEPA's web site List of Identified Hazardous Waste Sites ("Cortese List") (CalEPA).

Public Disclosure

Pursuant to California Health & Safety Code 25185(d):

"Whenever information, including, but not limited to, documents, photographs, and sampling results, has been gathered pursuant to subdivision (a), the department or the local officer or agency shall comply with all procedures established pursuant to Section 25173 and shall notify the person whose facility was inspected prior to public disclosure of the information, and, upon request of that person, shall submit a copy of any information to that person for the purpose of determining whether trade secret information, as defined in Section 25173, or facility security would be revealed by the information. "Public disclosure," as used in this section, shall not include review of the information by a court of competent jurisdiction or an administrative law judge. That review may be conducted in camera at the discretion of the court or judge."

Civ. Code 3426.1 (d)
17 U.S.C. 101, 102(a) 8, 106, 107
Health & Safety Code 19851

Hazardous Materials CUPA Permit Data Listing


There is a listing of active and inactive CUPA permitted facilities located in San Bernardino County that provides the facility #, the name of the facility, address of facility, CUPA permits active and inactive for that facility, when the permit(s) expires, and facility mailing address.  Please complete the form below and email to The current fee is $109.00 which may be paid by credit card. To pay by credit card, please call (909) 386-8401. Once payment and the form has been received, an Excel spreadsheet will be emailed to you within 10 business days.


The request form for the CUPA Permit Data Listing is below: 


Permit Data Information

Hazardous Materials UST CERS Reports


There are 4 Underground Storage Tank reports that are available from the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) which we can provide to you. They include a Full Detail

Report, a UST Facility/Tank Data Report, a UST CME Data Report, and an HMRRP Report. Please complete the request form below and email to There is a fee of $109.00 which may be paid by credit card. Please call our office at (909) 386-8401 if you would like to pay by credit card. Once payment and form has been received, these reports will be emailed to you within 10 business days.


CERS Report Information

Site Remediation

RemediationVoluntary Cleanup Program (VCP)

The Site Remediation Program also provides regulatory oversight services to property owners and facility operators who have experienced or discovered a hazardous materials discharge from other than an underground storage tank, and wish to voluntarily clean up the contamination and restore their property to a safe and equitable condition. As with unauthorized releases from underground storage tanks, the professional staff of the Site Remediation (VCP) work with property owners and their consultants to plan and implement corrective actions that will accomplish these goals and comply with applicable laws and regulations.

Departmental oversight of voluntary site cleanups is not supported by public funds. Therefore, these services are provided by agreement with the responsible parties, and reimbursement for expenses incurred by the department is required, similar to the LIA Program.

Privacy Statement | Accessibility       Copyright © 2020 County of San Bernardino. All Rights Reserved.