Connect with Us search button

What We Accept

Collection Facilities accept a wide variety of household generated hazardous wastes. These services are FREE for San Bernardino County residents only. Proof of residency may be requested.

Collection Facilities Will Accept Household Generated:

  • Motor Oil, Oil Filters
  • Auto & Household Batteries
  • Paints, Paint Products, Paint Thinner & Wood Preservatives
  • Cleaners, Gasoline, Antifreeze, Weed Killers
  • Pesticides & Fertilizers, Pool & Hobby Supplies
  • Auto & Furniture Polish, Chemical Drain Cleaners
  • Electronic Waste Collection available throughout San Bernardino County.
    Call 1.800.OILY.CAT for nearest location. View E-Waste flyer here.
  • Sharps/Needles in approved container (not accepted at all locations)
  • Outdated Medications, non-controlled substances, separate liquids & solids
  • Mercury Thermostats

Alternatives For Medication Disposal:


Disposal of Vaping Cartridges and Vaping Devices

E‐Cigarette & Vaping Devices Disposal Flyer


Collection Facilities Will Not Accept:

  • Business Wastes
  • Wastes from Non-Profit Organizations
  • Radioactives
  • Explosives
  • Medical Waste
  • Asbestos
  • Reactive Waste
  • Auto-injectors
  • Treated Wood Waste
  • Refrigerant Cylinder
  • Call 909.382.5401 or 1.800.OILY.CAT (1.800.645.9228) for disposal options.

Controlled Substances/Medication Disposal:

Facility workers

Before transporting household generated hazardous waste to a collection facility or ABOP facility, be sure that . . .

  • The amount of waste transported does not exceed 15 gallons or 125 pounds. Container volume must not exceed 5 gallons.
  • The containers are sound, not leaking, and sealed.
  • The waste is in its original container or is properly labeled as to its contents.
  • Wastes are placed securely in the vehicle for safe transport.
  • The contents of the container are the same as stated on the label. If not the same, cover up the label and write the name of its contents.
  • Place sharps/needles in approved container. It is illegal to transport in plastic milk jug, coffee can, plastic bag, bleach or soda bottle.
  • Call 909.382.5401 or 1.800.OILY.CAT (1.800.645.9228) for information on obtaining an approved container.
  • Place items in a cardboard box or secure container. Wrap glass bottles in cloth or newspaper so they do not break while transported.
  • Place the cardboard box in the trunk of your car or in the bed of your pickup truck. Keep items away from passengers.
  • Follow directions once you reach the collection site.
  • At the site, staff will unload the chemicals from your vehicle. You will be asked to stay inside your vehicle.



How to Recycle Used Motor Oil


Click here to know how often you should change your motor oil


Privacy Statement | Accessibility      Copyright © 2016 County of San Bernardino. All Rights Reserved.